|OTP appearance||white solid|
|Solubility in water(g/L)||347|
- Feedstock for propanone
- Component in "sterno"-type flammable gels (A semisolid saturated solution, gels by absorbing ethanol)
- As an intermediate form in the purification of acetic acid
- Nutritional calcium
Calcium acetate is Generally Recognized As Safe by the US FDA
- Prepare a strong solution of cool acetic acid
- Dissolve calcium carbonate in excess.
Check:This should produce bubbles of carbon dioxide.
- CaCO3 + 2 CH3COOH → Ca(CH3COO)2 + H2O + CO2
- Filter the solution
- Run water in excess through the filter
- Discard the residue (chiefly calcium carbonate)
- Evaporate the solution gently leaving crystals of calcium acetate
N.B. This is a slight variation on the vinegar-and-baking-soda kitchen chemistry experiment, which produces sodium acetate. Because calcium carbonate is insoluble in water, it is easier to separate from the resulting acetate.